Inside sales job descriptions you can steal in 2020
Every hiring begins with a killer job description. Think about it: Before you can interview someone, you need to lure them in with a thoughtful and engaging job description, one that sparks their interest and earns you a second glance.
But here’s the thing about job descriptions:
A job-seeker spends, on average, only 14 seconds reviewing a job description before deciding whether to apply, according to a report by LinkedIn.
That means most people don’t even read the whole ad; in fact, they often skip the bottom third of the description altogether.
So how do you capture the attention of your ideal candidate? How do you write a job description that gets the right people on board?
Writing compelling job descriptions is an art, and if you’re squirming at the thought of creating one from scratch, fear not—we’ve got your back!
In this post, we’re sharing three inside sales job descriptions that you can steal and personalize for your business in order to attract the right sales talent in 2020!
- Jump to...
- → Job description template: junior inside sales professional
- → Job description template: inside sales leader
- → Job description template: director of inside sales
(Note: These templates are designed for inside sales positions at various stage SaaS startups, but they can easily be adapted for positions at any company or industry.)
Let’s get going.
Inside sales job description template: junior inside sales professional
Working in sales at an early stage startup is both exciting and nerve-wracking—it’s all about the hustle and getting your hands dirty.
Now, some might argue that sales is the easiest job at this stage, but I disagree. Yes, most of the sales are still driven by the founder, but that doesn’t mean there’s nothing for an inside sales rep to do.
Instead of hiring a big team, you may only need one or two people (likely junior positions) who are not only going to help you test different strategies but also help you scale by nailing cold calling.
At this stage, you’re looking for candidates who are driven, passionate, dependable and hands-on with technology.
Here’s a job description for inspiration:
<Company Name> is an early-stage Software as a Service (SaaS) company with 10 employees covering all the roles you would expect to find in a software business, including sales, marketing, customer success, product and development, analysis, finance, etc.
We are growing rapidly and signing new customers ranging from medium-size businesses to enterprise clients, and we are looking for an ambitious inside sales professional.
<Company Name> is a people-first business. Our number one goal is to create an environment that we all want to come to each day to do valuable and meaningful work.
We are seeking a highly intelligent, consultative Inside Sales professional who understands the art of listening to and solving customers’ problems. The role is to introduce businesses to a <insert product value>.
Your role is to seek out and speak to leads, carefully understand their needs, qualify opportunities, qualify out when necessary, then proceed to proposals with those who are an excellent fit.
If the following describes you, we'd love to chat:
- You are a super smart, energetic Customer Service Consultant looking for a career move where you can put down roots and love coming to work again.
- You have experience working in <product segment> or a customer-focused role and have expert customer service skills.
- Your friends would describe you as a positive person.
- You are self-motivated and love nothing more than a meaty challenge you can sink your teeth into.
- You are looking for a workplace you can call home, where you can be part of a family as well as a team.
Skills & Qualifications
- Proven past success in sales
- Ability to manage complex sales cycles
- Confidence selling in both 1:1 and 1:many situations
- Ability to identify challenges that clients & prospects are facing
- Ability to communicate with Fortune 100 decision makers (typically SVP level+) [adjust this to whoever your buying persona is]
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Entrepreneurial drive—you thrive being part of a small team, rapidly iterating on your approach to unlocking opportunities, and getting your hands dirty to sell
- Competitive nature and a will to succeed in a target-driven environment
Inside sales job description template: inside sales leader
Things dramatically change when startups move to the growth stage. You’ve got the product right, and you’ve started to bring in revenue!
This also means you’ve got paying customers you can upsell while continuing to approach new prospects.
With the expanded workload and a larger team of reps to do it, it’s time to get an inside sales leader on board. This person should have past experience handling a team of sales reps and will be responsible for overseeing the growth of your team.
Here’s a template you can use:
We are seeking an experienced sales professional to play a key part in our growth. <Insert blurb about the company and its vision>
Meaningful work you’ll contribute:
- Conduct inside sales activities, including prospecting and developing opportunities, closing sales and taking orders
- Prepare activity and forecast reports
- Update and maintain the sales database
- Assist sales management in conveying customer needs to product managers and technical support staff
- Expand industry knowledge and the way we sell as a company
- Mentor Sales Associates
- Conduct weekly 1:1’s, opportunity inspection reviews and career development sessions for the team
- Assist in the development of sales training materials
- Help create and improve email templates and sequences
- Work closely with Sales Operations to recommend process improvements
- Set a vision and clear expectations for the team
- The customer champion. You believe in serving customers by managing their expectations and delivering what you promise.
- An entrepreneur at heart. You enjoy the challenge of expanding new territory and executing a land-and-expand strategy.
- Passionate about sales and technology.
- A team player. You understand that sales is a challenge best tackled as a team. You effectively partner with your sales counterparts, utilizing their expertise.
- A skilled negotiator with a knack for identifying the solutions that best address customers’ needs and articulating the value.
- Gutsy and self-directed. You are skilled at autonomously driving projects in a startup environment. You roll up your sleeves and drive execution and results.
Skills & Qualifications
- 4+ years of experience related to inside sales
- Proven track record of quota and goal achievement
- Ability to provide a high degree of major account management and control
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to excel in a team-oriented atmosphere
- Domain-specific knowledge
- Expertise using <product category>
Inside sales job description template: director of inside sales
The needs and demands of the sales team at a unicorn startup are way different than the ones listed above. That’s because the business volume is higher, and so is the customer volume.
At this stage, you need a seasoned sales professional to be your director of inside sales—someone who comes with years of experience handling senior and junior teams, executing ideas and growing a business upstream.
Here’s a job description that you can use:
<Company Name> is seeking a Director of Inside Sales to join our team. This role will report to the VP of Sales and the CEO and will be responsible for building, mentoring and leading a high-performing inside sales team to generate new and expansion revenue. Current customers include <client name(s)> and many more.
The ideal candidate will be an entrepreneurial-minded, process-driven leader who can energize the sales team and accelerate growth.
- Providing strategic guidance while focusing on quantitative results
- Hiring and training a high-performing sales team
- Ensuring quotas are consistently achieved by directing the sales process and experimenting with strategies to improve close ratios
- Providing tools and benchmarks by which the sales team can measure and improve their performance
- Generating more opportunities for our pipeline and improving our growth rate
- Keeping company leadership apprised of market activity and trends, including new technology that could empower the sales team
- Managing high-profile accounts and closing key opportunities
- Growing new team members and ensuring a high level of acumen for new products by training at all levels
You should consider applying if you:
- Know how to build a world-class sales team that is entrepreneurial and data-driven
- Have experience recruiting and hiring sales leaders who can deliver
- Embrace the concept of high-velocity sales
- Have helped a SaaS company grow to more than $100M ARR
What you’ll enjoy about joining our team:
We value our team members' well-being as much as we value their work. That’s why we offer <your company’s benefits/perks>
Whether you’re seeking an inside sales rep, team leader or director, the hiring process has never been more competitive.
Today, companies need to create job descriptions that not only showcase their vision but also help the applicant envision the company culture. The job descriptions that truly shine have concise copy, focus on the most important parts of the business, and offer a glimpse of the company culture.
Be mindful of the words you use and keep it real—you’ve got only 14 seconds to make an impression. We hope that the templates we shared above will help you capture the ideal candidate.
Want more actionable advice, checklists, and templates for hiring sales reps? Get a free copy of The Sales Hiring Playbook!